November is Major League Baseball awards season, and the competition started off on Sunday evening when the league reported the winners for the 2021 Gold Glove Awards.
Per Major League Baseball, here’s the voting process:
Given out since 1957, the Gold Glove honors the best defenders at each position in each league. Major League managers and coaches, voting only within their league and unable to vote for players on their own teams, account for 75 percent of the selection process. The other 25 percent goes to the sabermetrics community.
A player at each position in each league wins, giving us 18 victors taking all things together.
Pitcher: Dallas Keuchel (5th)
- Other finalists: José Berríos (Blue Jays), Zack Greinke (Astros)
Catcher: Sean Murphy, Athletics (1st)
- Other finalists: Martín Maldonado (Astros), Salvador Perez (Royals)
First Base: Yuli Gurriel, Astros (1st)
- Other finalists: Matt Olson (Athletics), Jared Walsh (Angels)
Second Base: Marcus Semien, Blue Jays (1st)
- Other finalists: David Fletcher (Angels), Whit Merrifield (Royals), Marcus Semien (Blue Jays)
Shortstop: Carlos Correa, Astros (1st)
- Other finalists: J.P. Crawford (Mariners), Andrelton Simmons (Twins)
Third Base: Matt Chapman, Athletics (3rd)
- Other finalists: José Ramírez (Guardians), Joey Wendle (Rays)
Left Field: Andrew Benintendi, Royals (1st)
- Other finalists: Randy Arozarena (Rays), Lourdes Gurriel Jr. (Blue Jays)
Center Field: Michael A. Taylor, Royals (1st)
- Other finalists: Kevin Kiermaier (Rays), Myles Straw (Guardians)
Right Field: Joey Gallo (2nd)
- Other finalists: Hunter Renfroe (Red Sox), Kyle Tucker (Astros)
Pitcher: Max Fried, Braves (2nd)
- Other finalists: Zach Davies (Cubs), Zack Wheeler (Phillies)
Catcher: Jacob Stallings, Pirates (1st)
- Other finalists: Yadier Molina (Cardinals), J.T. Realmuto (Phillies)
First Base: Paul Goldschmidt, Cardinals (4th)
- Other finalists: Freddie Freeman (Braves), Max Muncy (Dodgers)
Second Base: Tommy Edman, Cardinals (1st)
- Other finalists: Ozzie Albies (Braves), Kolten Wong (Brewers)
Shortstop: Brandon Crawford (4th)
- Other finalists: Francisco Lindor (Mets), Kevin Newman (Pirates)
Third Base: Nolan Arenado, Cardinals (9th)
- Other finalists: Manny Machado (Padres), Ryan McMahon (Rockies)
Left Field: Tyler O’Neill, Cardinals (2nd)
- Other finalists: David Peralta (Diamondbacks), AJ Pollock (Dodgers)
Center Field: Harrison Bader, Cardinals (1st)
- Other finalists: Bryan Reynolds (Pirates), Jackie Bradley Jr. (Brewers)
Right Field: Adam Duvall, Braves (1st)
- Other finalists: Mookie Betts (Dodgers), Mike Yastrzemski (Giants)
Particularly here, the Cardinals became the fourth group over the most recent 45 years to have three infielders win the gold glove in a similar season, while Nolan Arenado won its 10th. The nine gold gloves in third spot imply that Arenado just follows Hall of Famers Brooks Robinson (16) and Mike Schmidt (10). Enter the two Cardinals outfield triumphs and they will be the principal group in MLB history to win five gold gloves in a season.
The following are the 2021 winners (with number of profession Gold Gloves in brackets) and different finalists.
The winners of the Platinum Glove, which goes to the top defender in each league, will be reported on Friday.
- M. Night Shyamalan’s next film, ‘Knock At The Cabin,’ will star Dave Bautista - December 7, 2021
- Toshiba’s new 4K Fire TVs may outperform Amazon’s in terms of picture quality - December 7, 2021
- Critics Choice Awards 2022: ‘Succession’ receives the most nominations than any other TV show - December 7, 2021